Friday 27 February 2009

Criteria for evaluating an innovation

A year ago, I introduced the use of Nicenet (www.nicenet.org/) in my teaching at the foundation course.
I don't use the forum as the students see each other every day so they may feel that it doesn't help them communicate better (though it would get them to write more in English and this would help. I use the documents section as a wiki and also for me to post the content of my presentations ,the links section and the facility for sending group e-mails.

Relative advantage
The use of documents helps students get my notes, it works better than collaborative pen and paper poster activities, it is the only way I have to give them links and constantly update them, it allows me to send e-mails. Overall it allows me to do new things and to do the usual things better.
Compatibility
fully compatible with their use of technology in every day life, but it goes against their views about learning and teaching: in China they only get lectures

Complexity

None, but remembering a password seems always a challenge for them. Motivation is not always high as other tutors ask them to do so much that they only do the minimum.

Triability
I have tried to use various features of nicenet with other groups.

Observability

The work done is published.

No comments:

Post a Comment